Get ready for a delicious vegan chocolate hazelnut babka buns recipe! Babka buns are a from the eastern European countries! This recipe traditionally takes on a bread loaf form, and the sweet filing is braided throughout the bread! There are so many different flavors that can be used as the filling like strawberry jam, peanut butter, and even some pesto for a savory version.
This recipe does take a little longer than most the recipes I have on my blog, but it will be well worth the wait. There are two stages of rising each at an hour long. Then the making of the buns take a bit to get the technique down.
Key ingredients for these vegan chocolate hazelnut babka buns:
- All purpose flour
- Babka bread is traditionally made with flour and is not gluten free! However, sub with some 1:1 gluten free flour if your are gluten free.
- Plant milk
- I choose to use almond milk but use your favorite plant milk!
- Vegan butter
- I definitely think that vegan butter is the way to go for this recipe. It helps the flavor of the bread to be buttery (duh), and I don’t think any other oil will do that as well.
- I am not a fan of overly sweet pastries, so just a little bit of sugar helps sweeten the buns to the perfect amount. This also helps activate the yeast.
- Active dry yeast
- This helps the bread poof up and take on a fluffy texture. Active dry yeast requires activation in some luke warm liquid and sugar. You can also use instant active dry yeast, and this can be sprinkled directly in with the dry ingredients.
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- I used the version made from Justin’s, but you can use whatever your heat desires! You can also make your own by blending some pealed hazelnuts until a smooth butter forms. Then blend in some melted vegan chocolate chips!
Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Babka Buns
- 2¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond milk or soy milk
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tso salt
- 2¼ tsp active dry yeast* 1 packet
Chocolate Hazelnut filling
- ⅔ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- In a small bowl heat up the almond milk in the microwave for 20 seconds. Then sprinkle in the yeast and sugar. Set aside until bubbles form.
- Pour the yeast mixture, vegan butter, and sugar into a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Mix together. Now slowly add in the flour. Knead for 5-10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm environment for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, flour a clean surface and knead the dough with your hands for an additional 2-3 minutes. Roll the dough into a fat rectangular shape to about ¼" thick.
- Take a pizza cutter and slice the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Take 1 portion and spread on a layer of vegan butter and chocolate hazelnut spread. Then roll the potion long ways with the chocolate filling on the inside. Take a sharp knife and slice the log in half making starting ½" from the top. With the cut side facing up place one strand over the other and continue crossing the two strands. Shape the twisted dough into a circle.
- Allow the buns to rise for an additional hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and bake the buns for 12-15 minutes.