You guys are in for a savory treat today! If you are a big fan of Cheese It’s then I guarantee you are going to love this vegan and gluten free recipe! I think I prefer this recipe more than that boxed up processed version. There are lines and lines of ingredients in the processed version that I do not want to put into my body! This recipe with satisfy your snakiness while being on the healthier side.
To make sure that the dough is not too sticky I definitely recommend using cold water, and start by adding 1 tablespoon at a time. Then roll the dough in-between two pieces of parchment paper so that the dough does not stick to the rolling pin (and its easy clean up!). It is defiantly the easiest to use a pizza cutter to cut the squares, but a knife will also work great! I also decided to add the extra circle in the middle by poking the center of the dough with a chop stick. That step isn’t really necessary, but it is a fun addition.
These cheese squares can be stored in the pantry for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, however, they will probably be all gone by then!
This is such a great snack for students going back to school, and even for adults on a busy work day! You can make a big batch of this stuff and have it as a snack all week long! I guarantee you guys will love this recipe as much as I do!
Key ingredients for this vegan and gluten free Cheee It’s
- Almond flour
- This is the staple for the cheese squares. I love how crispy the almond flour is once they are baked in the oven. I like to get my almond flour from Nature’s Eats from Amazon.
- Flax meal
- This helps bind the crackers together especially when the water hits the dough. It adds another layer of nutrition as well!
- Nutritional yeast
- This is where the cheesy flavor comes from! If you don’t know what this is, it is basically a form of deactivated yeast that has a rich nutty and cheesy flavor! This ingredients also is full of vitamins and minerals! The one from Anthony’s is my go to for anything vegan and cheese related.
- Paprika and turmeric
- These two spices are mainly used for color, however they do add a nice depth of flavor as well!
Vegan and Gluten Free Cheez Its
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, flax meal, nutritional yeast, paprika, turmeric, and salt. Whisk that all together.
- Next pour in the water 1 tbs at a time while stirring the dry ingredients.
- Take two rectangular sheets of parchment paper, and place one down of your surface. Then place the cheese dough on top followed the the other piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough until it is about a quarter inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 1"x1" squares.
- Transfer the squares to a lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.