Twix is by far my favorite candy bar but they are not the healthiest snack on the planet. I decided to make this recipe a little healthier as well as vegan and gluten free! All you need are 8 ingredients and you have yourself a delicious healthy almond butter Twix bar!
The base is made with a mixture of almond flour, pecans, maple syrup, and coconut oil. There is no need to bake this, instead stick it in the freezer to set. The vegan caramel is made with dates! Dates a perfect for caramel because they are naturally sweet and have a sticky consistency when blended. I usually blend with some water and coconut oil to get a glossier consistency.
How do I store these Twix bars?
I store my Twix bars in the freezer, however they will also keep well in the fridge. I would not recommend storing in room temperature because the chocolate might be a little melty.
Key ingredients for these vegan and GF almond butter Twix:
- Almond flour
- I love almond flour and it makes a great base for these Twix bars! The crust gets super chewy but crisp on the outside!
- I added some pecans because I love pecans. If you don’t have pecans then sub with more almond flour!
- Maple syrup
- Maple syrup is my favorite liquid sweetener. I like using this in the crust because it helps hold it together while giving it a nice sweetness.
- Coconut oil
- I used coconut oil to help the base mixture stick together and also help the chocolate become glossier!
- Medjool dates
- Medjool dates are by far the best way to make vegan caramel! All you have to do is soak the date is some boiling water for 5-10 minutes them blend them up with some of that soaking liquid. You can also add some coconut oil, or in this case almond butter, to get a glossier texture.
- Almond butter
- I use almond butter from Trader Joe’s. You want to make sure that the only ingredient in the almond butter is just almond! We don’t need the extra sugar or oil!
- Vegan chocolate
- I love using chocolate from Lily’s or Enjoy Life!
Vegan Almond Butter Twix
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 medjool dates soaked in boiling water
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ cup vegan chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Soak the dates in boiling water.
- In a spice grinder or blender, blend up the pecans to a ground powder.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients for the base and mix well. Place down in a loaf pan and set in the freezer.
- While the base is in the freezer, blend up the dates into a smooth paste. Add in the almond butter and water, then blend again.
- Pull the base out of the freezer and layer on the vegan caramel.
- Place back into the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- After chilling, remove the base and caramel from the loaf pan and slice into thin strips.
- Microwave the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in 20 second intervals. Then coat each strip with the melted chocolate.
- Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes to let the chocolate harden.