Today we are going to make some yummy strawberry glazed donuts! This is a perfect healthy breakfast option for your kids before school, or you before work! These are one of my favorite donut recipes I’ve made because I love anything strawberry! I decided to bake my donuts instead of fry them to keep them on the healthier (and easier) side. Frying can make a huge mess and it can be a hassle to clean up. My donut pans are from amazon, and they have made making donuts so much easier!
I love the texture that these donuts have! For the flourm I used Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten free flour and it reminds me a lot of mochi donuts since the flour I used uses rice flour. If you don’t know what mochi is, it is a sticky/ chewy Asian dessert, and it uses rice flour as the main ingredient!
For the frosting I used some vegan butter as the base. I love using the one from Miyoko’s, I can hardly tell the difference between this and actual butter! The sweetness comes from powdered sugar, however you can sub this with some powdered sweetener too. Here are a couple that I like: Lakanto’s and Smart 138. To get the frosting to be pink I used some strawberry jam, but you can also just blend up a couple strawberries and use the puree. Lastly, I topped with some sprinkles because who doesn’t love a little sprinkle action? I used some sprinkles from India tree that uses all natural ingredients!
When the donuts are all done baking it is super important for them to cool completely. If you do not allow them to cool the glaze will melt and become a big mess!
Strawberry Glazed Donuts (Vegan and GF)
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp gluten free flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar or sweetener
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond milk, apple sauce, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Whisk that together until everything is combined.
- Now fold in the gluten free flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Make sure that the dough is well combined.
- Scoop the dough into a well greased donut pan, and bake then at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combined some softened butter, powdered sugar, and strawberry jam. Whisk together until all the lumps from the powdered sugar are gone.
- Allow for the donuts to cool completely before topping with the strawberry glaze. Lastly, top with sprinkles!