Scallion pancakes are one of my favorite Chinese side or appetizer! I always beg my parents every time I go home to make some (because sometimes I’m too lazy, and they make it so much better!) Since, my parents are the masters of scallion pancakes, I decided to put a twist on the traditional recipe and make a scallion pancake focaccia bread.
Focaccia bread is the perfect recipe for beginner bread makers! It is super simple and very hard to mess up! The texture of focaccia bread is super soft and chewy, but a littler crispy on the outside!
My favorite part about making focaccia bread is spreading the dough out onto the baking sheet and making the little dimples with my fingers. I also love how satisfying it is when you drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle on the topping!
There are so many ways to flavors focaccia bread. Here are some other delicious toppings:
- Rosemary and garlic
- Tomatoes and basil
- Garlic and parmesan
- Or none at all to keep it simple!
Key ingredients for scallion pancake focaccia bread
- All purpose flour
- I typically use unbleached organic flour. I have a gluten free one in the works so stay tuned for that recipe!
- Olive oil
- This is the key ingredient to keeping this focaccia bread super moist and soft! The drizzle on the top gets the edges extra crispy while baking!
- Warm water, yeast, sugar
- This is what helps the bread rise and get that squishy texture! Don’t be detoured from this recipe because of the yeast! It is super easy and simple to make!
- Green onion
- Sprinkle these onto and they infuse the dough with delicious flavor, and they get crispy while baking.
- Sesame seeds
- I like adding sesame seeds because of the extra flavor, and it also loos pretty!
Scallion Pancake Focaccia Bread
- ⅓. cup olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp 1 packet active dry yeast
- ½ tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 3 stalks green onion chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a bowl, combine the warm water and sugar. Then sprinkle on the yeast, and let it sit for about 5 minutes until foamy.
- To a stand mixer bowl add 1 cup of the flour and ¼ cup of the olive oil. Mix with a wooden spoon 10 times, then add in the rest of the flour. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Transfer the bowl to a large greased bowl and let the dough rise in a warm environment for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Spread the dough onto a baking sheet and press it down into the pan. Use your fingers to make dimples in the dough then drizzle on the rest of the olive oil. Sprinkle on the chopped scallions and sesame seeds.
- Let the dough sit for an additional 30 minutes, then bake for 15-20 minutes.