Today’s recipes is a great one for all my zucchini lovers out there! These savory zucchini pancakes are not your traditional sweet and fluffy pancakes. They take on a savory twist, and they are much flatter, almost like a tortilla. You can eats these pancakes like a tortilla by wrapping some veggies and meat/tofu on the inside! Or you can always eat it as is, because they are just that delicious!
I always buy tons of zucchinis, but have a hard time deciding what to make with them. These zucchini pancakes are so gosh darn easy to make, and I whipped them up in under 30 minutes. All you need is a large mixing bowl, a skillet, and a mandolin. If you don’t have a mandolin you can always cut the zucchini into small strips. I do suggest that you remove the seeds before grating them or cutting them into strips, because it can make the batter watery. Then all that’s left is to mix all your ingredients in the mixing bowl and fry them up!
My mom has always made these traditional Chinese pancakes for us, however, she usually uses grated potatoes instead of zucchini. I think I like this version better because I get my vegetables in at the same time, but the potatoes ones are delicious as well. You can also use other vegetables like carrots or other squashes!
Key ingredients for these savory zucchini pancakes:
- These are a staple for these pancakes and you definitely cannot sub these with anything (sorry to my vegans!). It creates a light and fluffy texture, and makes the batter super smooth.
- I like to use milk instead of water because it makes the pancake richer in texture and in flavor. However, you can always use water or almond milk if you are dairy free!
- White pepper
- I love the flavor of white pepper! The flavor is more mellow than black pepper, and it is not as spicy. If you do not have white pepper on hand you can sub with black pepper.
- This is a much in these ZUCCHINI pancakes, however you can use whatever root like vegetable you like! I definitely recommend removing the seeds so that the batter does not get to wet.
- Olive oil
- This is used for the frying portion of the pancakes. Add about one tablespoon of olive oil to the pan before laying in the batter.
Chinese Zucchini Pancakes
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1½ cup shredded zucchini with the water squeezed out
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 4-5 tbsp oilve oil
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, then add in the milk, salt, white pepper, and zucchini. Whisk everything together,
- Now add in your flour and fold that in until everything is well combined,
- Heat up a large skillet and pour in 1 tbs of olive oil. Scoop in ½ cup of the batter and smooth it out until it covers the skillet. Cook each side of the pancake until it's golden brown. This took about 2 minutes per side. Repeat this step until all the batter is gone.
- Layer the pancakes on a plate and serve!