Pumpkin season is still in action, and this time I present a delicious pumping bread with a chocolaty swirl! This pumpkin chocolate swirl bread is the perfect combination of pumpkin spice and chocolate! I think these two flavors are one of my favorites, and now its even better when they are combined! This pumpkin bread is vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free! It makes a great breakfast or snack!
This pumpkin chocolate swirl bread was gone within a day after I made it! It is so easy to make, and I was told that people were shocked that it was completely gluten free!
What’s the difference between pumpkin pie filling and pumpkin puree?
I definitely see why this can be confusing because they are usually right next to each other and in similar looking cans. However, pumpkin pie filling is already sweetened and contains a bunch of other ingredients. Pumpkin puree is just that pureed pumpkin. No additional sweetener. For this recipe you should use pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling.
How should I store this pumpkin bread?
I suggest wrapping it in some plastic wrap or storing in a gallon sized bag. You can leave it on the counter top for 2 days, but it will last up to one week in the fridge. You can also free the pumpkin bread, and reheat in the microwave or toaster! The pumpkin bread will last up to 2 month in the freezer.
Key ingredients for this pumpkin chocolate swirl bread:
- Obviously necessary for PUMPKIN bread! You can make this from scratch, or buy the stuff from the can! Just make sure that it is not the pumpkin pie filling because that is laded with sugar already.
- Vegan butter
- This helps the muffins stay moist as they bake, and acts a binding ingredient when making the batter. You can also sub with coconut oil.
- Almond milk
- I used more milk in the recipe to replace some of the butter in the dough. This helps reduce the amount of calories in this recipe.
- Coconut sugar
- This is by far my favorite granulated sweetener! It has a rich nutty flavor as well as a deep caramel color! I used this both in the donuts and the frosting.
- Flax egg
- This replaces an egg to keep this recipe vegan. All you have to do is mix 1 tablespoons of flax seed meal and 2.5 tablespoons of water. Then let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Apple cider vinegar
- This helps the baking soda do its job!
- Gluten free all purpose flour
- Cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
- Pumpkin pie spice is a delicious blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice! I added extra cinnamon because I love cinnamon!
- Cocoa powder
- This is for the chocolate batter! don’t forget the almond milk or else the batter will get really dry!
Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Bread
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flax meal + 2.5 tbsp water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, vegan butter, almond milk, coconut sugar, flax egg, and apple cider vinegar until well combined.
- Now fold in the gluten free AP flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Scoop half of the batter into another bowl. Then add the cocoa powder and additional almond milk.
- Grease a loaf pan, then alternate the layers of pumpkin batter and chocolate batter. Once all the batter is in the loaf pan, take a chopstick or wooden stick and swirl the batter around.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow for the bread to cool, then slice it up and serve!