These paleo gingerbread cookies are bursting with flavor, and will definitely get you in the holiday spirit. The final cookies turned out crisp on the outside but chewy on the inside! You will never believe that these cookies are vegan and gluten free because they are so dang delicious!
Gingerbread always reminds me of the holidays and I love the complex flavor combination! This recipe doesn’t use any flour or refined sugar, but I guarantee everyone will love them!
If you don’t have the time to individually cut out cookie shapes, you can always roll the dough into ball shapes and flatten them out in between you hands. You can also roll the dough in some coconut sugar for a nice sweet crunch. The cooking time is the same!
I’ve made one other gingerbread recipe on my blog, gingerbread baked oats, and I made a big batch of gingerbread spice. Here is the recipe for my gingerbread spice mix:
- 1 tbsp all spice
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp cloves
- ½ tbsp nutmeg
Key ingredients for these paleo gingerbread cookies
- Almond flour
- I love almond flour and it makes a great base for these cookies! The crust gets super chewy but crisp on the outside!
- Tapioca flour
- Tapioca flour is essential for gluten free crusts. It holds the crust together after it bakes and increases the crispiness!
- Gingerbread spice
- Gingerbread spice is made up of a blend of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, all spice, and nutmeg! If you don’t feel like buying all those spices separately you can also get some from Amazon!
- Coconut oil
- Coconut oil helps crisp up the cookies and keep a chewy center!
- Maple syrup
- Maple syrup is my favorite liquid sweetener. I like using this in the crust because it helps hold it together while giving it a nice sweetness.
- This is not a super popular ingredients but I think it is essential for gingerbread cookies! It has a bitter sweet flavor that adds another level of flavor!
Paleo Gingerbread Cookies
- 1½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp gingerbread spice see above for recipe
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the coconut oil, maple syrup, and molasses until well combined.
- Now fold in the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, salt, and gingerbread spice.
- Lay down one piece of parchment paper and place the dough on top. Place another parchment paper onto of the dough and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to ¼ inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter for cut out the gingerbread man shapes. Optional but highly recommend sprinkling on some granulated sugar on top. Place the cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- If you do not have a ginger bread cookie shape, you can roll the dough into balls and flatten in your hands.
- Let cool then enjoy!