Carrot cake is one of my favorite spring time cakes because of its brightness of flavor. You would not believe that this olive oil carrot cake recipe is completely vegan and gluten free because it takes on such an amazing texture and flavor!
Even though cakes are meant for dessert, this recipes makes a perfect breakfast option too! It has fiber from the oats and it is on the healthier side!
How is this olive oil carrot cake gluten free?
To make this recipe gluten free I used gluten free baking flour from King Arthur and some gluten free oat flour! I love subbing some GF flour with oat flour because it adds more fiber and nutrients!
How is this olive oil carrot cake vegan?
- This recipe is vegan because I subbed the eggs with some flax eggs! If you don’t know flax eggs are made with a combination of flax seed meal and water. Once you let it sit for 5 minutes it takes on a very viscous texture, just like an egg!
- The frosting is made with coconut cream, powdered sugar, and cinnamon. I love using coconut cream for my vegan frostings because it is so thick and it is so easy to work with.
Other vegan and gluten free desserts on my site!
- Cranberry bliss bars
- Almond butter Twix
- Tahini oatmeal fudge cups
- Pecan pie cookies
- Apple Pie Cups
- Strawberry lemonade bars
Olive Oil Carrot Cake
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup gluten free baking flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbsp flax meal + 2.5 tbsp water
- 1 cup oat milk or non dairy milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Start by grating the carrots if you did not buy them premade. Also chop up the walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Next fold in all the dry ingredients. Followed with the carrots and walnuts.
- Transfer to a lined 9inch cake pan and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking make the frosting. Whisk together the coconut cream, powdered sugar, and cinnamon. Place in the fridge.
- Once the cake is done baking, make sure it has completely cooled. Then spread the frosting onto and top with more chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
- Slice into equal pieces and serve!