These mochi cheese bites are probably the easiest thing you will ever make! It only requires 4 simple ingredients and an air fryer. This makes such a great savory snack or party appetizer!
For people unfamiliar with mochi, it is a chewy, sticky rice flour treat that is popular in Asian cultures. It usually comes in dessert for like wrapped around some ice cream! I love splurging on some mochi ice cream because it is so yummy and kind of difficult to make at home. However, don’t worry because this savory mochi recipe will be the easiest thing you make this week.
This recipe is not vegan, but it can easily be made vegan by subbing the parmesan cheese with some vegan parmesan cheese! You can also sub with whatever cheese is your favorite! The only thing I would suggest is getting a low moisture cheese, and chop it up into very small pieces.
Key ingredients for these mochi cheese bites:
- Glutinous rice flour
- This is the most important ingredient when making mochi! You have to get this rice flour or else it will not work!
- This helps make the mochi a little creamier as compared to water. If you are vegan you can sub with your favorite plant milk. I would suggest using room temperature milk.
- I used some grated parmesan cheese because it has a strong cheesy flavor, and it has a lot of salt. If you choose a less salty cheese then add an additional 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Olive oil
- This helps keep the mochi bites soft as they are being air fried.
Mochi Cheese Bites
- Air fryer
- ¾ cup glutinous rice flour
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp milk or almond mil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan cheese.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt optional
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients until a thick dough forms.
- Pinch off a piece of the dough and roll it into a 1 inch diameter ball shape.
- Place the balls into a air fryer and spray with some olive oil.
- Air fry at 350F for 6 minutes.
- Enjoy right away or store in the fridge for 1 week! Make sure to reheat them before serving.