Today we are making some vegan and gluten free lemon coconut cookies! These guys will melt in your mouth the minute you bite into one. They have a super soft and moist texture, which I prefer over cookies with gluten. Not to mention, these cookies take less than 30 minutes to make, 6 ingredients, and it is all done in one mixing bowl!
I know summer is coming to an end, but I am still in love with the summer time flavors, so I though I’d share one more! Lemon is such a bright and fun flavor, and when it is mixed with coconut it becomes even better!
I decided to make these cookies bite size cookies, because I love that you can easily pop one into your mouth! If you prefer your cookies bigger, these will definitely work as larger ones too! However, if you do this then I would bake them for an addition couple minutes to ensure everything has been baked.
The key to getting these cookies super soft is using almond flour. I love almond flour because of the dense texture it gives my baked goods. These cookies will always stay super soft and chewy as long as you do not over bake them!
Key ingredients for these lemon coconut cookies:
- Almond flour
- This is by far my favorite flour to bake any gluten free cookies with! It gives THE best soft and chewy texture. I like to use this one from Anthony’s.
- Coconut flakes
- I added a scoop of these for the coconut addition. I would recommend using unsweetened and un toasted ones to keep the raw coconut flavor.
- Coconut oil
- Whenever this is mixed with almond flour and then baked, good things happen! I love using coconut oil when I bake, however, you can also sub with avocado oil or vegan butter.
- Maple syrup
- This is my favorite liquid sweetener! I would definitely recommend a liquid sweetener for this recipe because it helps keep the cookies together and moist as they bake.
- Well DUH! I added both the lemon juice and zest for the optimal lemon flavor!
Lemon Coconut Cookies
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼` tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Next fold in the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Use a cookie scoop and scoop the dough onto a line baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool and top with some lemon zest.