Instant pot chicken pho is the perfect quick way to enjoy a warm bowl of pho! It takes just around an hour to prepare and tastes like the real deal!
If you have ever had pho you probably know it’s one of the best foods on the planet! However, it is very intimidating to make at home, and there seems to be a ton of ingredients that aren’t typically in everyone pantry. This instant pot chicken pho is super easy to make and delicious at the same time.
Time saving tips:
- Get yourself an Instant Pot because it speeds up the time to make the chicken broth so much faster. Normally it takes all day to stew up pho broth, but it only takes 25 minutes (and release time) in the Instant Pot.
- The key to this quick chicken pho is a rotisserie chicken. I get the big guy from Costco and make sure to shred off all the meat. DO NOT throw away the carcass because that will help make the chicken stock!
- Get some pho spice bags. It makes it so much easier to remove all the spice once the broth is done. If you don’t have any of these then you can also use a metal spider straining spoon.
Key ingredients for instant pot chicken pho:
- Rotisserie chicken
- I get my rotisserie chicken from Costco because it is so big and cheap! Rotisserie chickens save so much time and they serve so many people. That’s why I love them!
- Onion and ginger
- These two ingredients add freshness to the broth . They add so much flavor once they are charred so definitely do not skip or rush that part.
- Fish sauce
- It’s traditionally to add some of this to the broth. It may sound funky but I promise it does not add any fishy flavor to the broth.
- I used organic granulated sugar, but brown sugar or the traditional rock sugar also work.
- Rice noodles
- I used some Pad Thai noodles from the grocery store and that worked great! You can also but fresh noodles from an Asian grocery store!
Instant Pot Chicken Pho
- 1 Pressure cooker
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled
- 9½ cup water or half chicken broth
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cinnamon stick
- 5 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
Toppings for 1 serving
- 2 oz flat rice noodles
- 4 oz rotisserie chicken
- 1 lime wedge
- Green onion
- Mung bean sprouts
- Start by removing all the meat from the rotisserie chicken and set aside.
- Now in a small frying pan, toast up the spices on medium heat. This takes about 6-8 minutes. Once that is done, scoop them into a pho seasoning pack if you have one. Set aside.
- Next, set the insta pot to sauté and add enough oil to cover the bottom. Peel and halve the onion and ginger. Place the onion and ginger in the insta pot and let them char.
- Once the onion and ginger have been charred, set the chicken carcass on top. Throw in the spice pack and pour over the water. Add the fish sauce, sugar, and salt. Mix everything together.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure and cook for 25 minutes.
- In the mean time prepare the rice noodles according to package instructions.
- Once the timer on the Instant Pot has gone off, let it vent naturally for another 20 minutes. Then set the seal to vent.
- In a large bowl, add in the rice noodles then pour over the broth. Top with some rotisserie chicken and your favorite pho toppings!