This bang bang chicken recipe has a secret ingredient that makes this dish extra high in protein. Most times the bang bang sauce has a mayo base, but this recipe uses cottage cheese instead! This is the perfect gluten free weeknight dinner!
It might be hard to believe, but this recipe is completely gluten free, and the chicken is cooked in the air fryer instead of deep frying! The panko bread crumbs I used to keep this recipe gluten free are from Aleia’s!
Here are some other quick dinner recipes!
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla
- Spicy Maple Glazed Tofu
- Crispy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Tacos
- Hot Honey Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Dan Dan Noodles
Key ingredients for this high protein bang bang chicken:
- I choose to dice up some chicken breast for this recipe, but you can also use chicken thighs!
- Gluten free panko
- My favorite gluten free panko breadcrumbs are from Aleia’s! They stick really well to the chicken, and they get super crispy after air frying.
- Cottage cheese
- This is the secret ingredient to make the bang bang sauce loaded with protein. All I did to get the creamy texture was blend the cottage cheese for a couple minutes!
- Normally mayo is the majority of the bang bang sauce, but the calories can add up quick! That’s why I only added a little bit to make the sauce extra creamy!
- This helps the bang bang sauce with the color and the spice!
- Rice vinegar
- This adds a nice zing to the sauce!
High Protein Bang Bang Chicken
- avocado oil spray
High Protein Bang Bang Sauce
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp mayonaise
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large chicken breast diced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup gluten free panko
- 1 egg
- Start by dicing up the chicken breast into 1" chunks. Season with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Whisk together 1 egg in a shallow dish. Place the panko in a separate dish.
- Dip the chicken in the egg then in the panko. Place on the air fryer tray or basket. Repeat until all the chicken is done.
- Spray the chicken with some avocado oil, and air fry at 375F for 10-15 minutes.
- In the mean time make the bang bang sauce. First scoop the cottage cheese into a blender and blend until all the chunks are gone. Then mix that with the sriracha, rice vinegar, mayo, and salt.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, toss it in the bang bang sauce.
- Serve with rice and veggies!