Pecan pie is a traditional treat that is served during the fall season! However, it can take hours trying to make one pie! If you don’t have all that time, then you should make these healthy pecan pie cookies! This recipe took me about 30 minutes from start to finish!
The pecan pie filling is naturally sweetened with dates! I love using dates to represent a caramel mixture when I am baking. I swear I cannot tell the difference, and it is so sweet! For the pecans I used roasted pecans and chopped them up slightly.
I made a small batch of these cookies so this recipe only makes half a dozen. However, if you want to make this for a crowd you can always scale up the recipe! I definitely recommend brining this to your next potluck or party!
Here are some other healthy fall treats:
- Healthy apple pie cups
- Pumpkin peanut butter cups
- Pumpkin spice latte donuts
- Apple cinnamon coffee cake muffins
- Protein pecan pie brownies
Key ingredients for these healthy pecan pie cookies:
- Medjool dates
- This is the best natural sweet treat! I love blending these up to make caramel or eating them with some peanut butter and chocolate to replicate a snickers! These guys are so versatile for any sweet dessert!
- Coconut oil
- Coconut oil helps make the date caramel super creamy and glossy. I also used some of this to help crisp up the crust!
- Almond flour
- I love almond flour and it makes a great crust for these apple pies! The crust gets super chewy but crisp on the outside!
- Tapioca flour
- Tapioca flour is essential for gluten free crusts. It holds the crust together after it bakes and increases the crispiness!
- Maple syrup
- Maple syrup is my favorite liquid sweetener. I like using this in the crust because it helps hold it together while giving it a nice sweetness.
- Last but no least, pecans! I think pecans are one of my favorite nuts, and I love when fall comes around and it’s time to bake some pecan pie recipes!
Healthy Pecan Pie Cookies
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca floutr
- ¼ cup melted cocout oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Pecan pie filling
- 4 medjool dates soaked in boiling water
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp warm water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Soak the dates in a bowl of boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients under "shortbread cookies". Then mix in the wet ingredients until a dough forms.
- Shape the dough into 6 evenly divided balls, then add a thumb print indent in the center of the ball for the pecan pie filling. Place spaced out on a lined baking sheet.
- In a blender, blend tougher the soaked dates, coconut oil, and warm water until a nice caramel consistency forms.
- Fold in the pecans with the date mixture.
- Place the filling in the indented portion of the shortbread cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.