Soups are one of the easiest recipes to make because most times you can throw everything into a pot and let it cook! This healthy chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites because there are a couple shortcuts and it comes together in less than 30 minutes!
I’m going to be honest, I made this recipe after trying it at Chick- Fil-A! I loved it so much, I knew I had to make some at home so I can have it all the time! To my surprise the recipe I came up with is super easy, which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner. This also stays good in the fridge for up to one week, so this is perfect for meal prepping!
Shortcuts: The shortcuts I used to make this recipe come together super quickly is 1. rotisserie chicken and 2. canned goods! Getting these ingredients premade is such a time saver and adds more flavor!
Key ingredients for this healthy chicken tortilla soup:
- Rotisserie chicken
- This is my first shortcut for this recipe. It save so much time adding pre cooked chicken into this soup instead of cooking it on the side or with the soup.
- Canned fire roasted tomatoes
- This was definitely a time save in my opinion. Chopping tomatoes is the worst, but pouring them out of a cane is a breeze. I also like this option because fire roasted tomatoes add way more flavor than fresh tomatoes!
- Canned black beans
- This is a pantry staple that I always have multiple of! I love adding black beans to chili, soups, enchiladas… anything?
- Canned white beans
- I blended up the white beans and added it directly to the soup to make it extra creamy. This is a healthy hack that I use instead of heavy cream!
- Frozen corn
- This is another staple that I always have handy in my freezer. It is so easy to add!
- Chicken stock
- I think using chicken stock a lot more flavor to soups than just water! I always have some Better Than Bouillon chicken base in my fridge so I never run out!
- Oat milk
- I added some oat milk to keep this recipe dairy free. I found that oat milk is the best plant milk to keep things creamy! You can also use whole milk or half and half if you don’t mind dairy.
- Tortilla strips
- This is arguably my favorite part! I love the crunch these add! If you can’t find tortilla strips you can always cut up some corn tortillas and bake them in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes or crush up some tortilla chips.
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can black beans
- 1½ cup frozen corn
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can fire roaster tomatoes
- ½ onion diced onion
- 3-5 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups oat milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Tortilla strips
- Lime wedge
- Shredded cheese
- Start by heating up a large pot on medium heat with some olive oil. Add in the onion and garlic and cook until soft (3-5 minutes).
- In the meantime open the can of white beans and transfer all of it to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blended beans to the pot, followed with the chicken stock, oat milk, fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, corn, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring everything up to a boil.
- Now add in the shredded chicken and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with some tortilla strips, lime wedge, and shredded cheese!