Healthy berry Bars are one of my favorite recipes because they are perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a quick snack! The chewy crust and crispy crumble pairs incredibly well with the sweet berry filling. Not to mention these berry bars are healthy, vegan, and gluten free!
I made a batch of these and they were gone the day of! My roommates loved these and we ate the entire pan in one sitting! I immediately made another batch, and I’ve been making them at least once a week!
You would never believe that these berry bars are completely vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free! I sweetened the crust with apple sauce and maple syrup, and the filling with coconut sugar! That’s why these makes the perfect healthy breakfast since it won’t spike your blood sugar as much as a traditional pastry.
Not to mention these berry bars are incredible easy to make, anyone can do it! I love to wrap each of the berry bars in plastic wrap so that they are extra easy to grab and take on the go!
Key ingredients for these healthy berry bars:
- Gluten free oats
- I get a lot of questions what the difference between gluten free oats and regular oats. The answer is that gluten free oats are not processed on machines that also process gluten products! I love getting mine from Bob’s Red Mill!
- Apple sauce
- Apple sauce is my favorite way to sweetened baked good! This ingredients also doubles as a binding agent, which means you can use less oil!
- Maple syrup
- Coconut sugar
- I love using coconut sugar because it is a natural sweetener that is lower on the glycemic index compared to regular cane sugar. This means it does not spike your blood sugar as much!
- Mixed berries
- I used a frozen mix of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. I love the combo of different berries but you can also use one berry too!
- Tapioca flour
- Tapioca flour helps thicken the berry mixture as it bakes in the oven! Do not skip this ingredient.
Healthy Berry Bars (V & GF)
Crust and crumble
- 2½ cups gluten free oat flour
- ½ cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- ⅓ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Start by combining all the crust ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Take ¾ of the dough and press down into the bottom of a 8"x8" pan.
- In a high speed blender or food processor blend up the frozen mixed berries until the berries are blended into pieces.
- Transfer the crushed berries into a large mixing bowl, and mix with the tapioca flour, lemon juice, and coconut sugar.
- Layer the mixed berries on top of the crust. Then take the remaining crust and crumble it on top of the berry mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 45- 50 minutes.
- Let cool then enjoy!