Fried rice is my ultimate favorite comfort food, especially during the winter months because it is so warm and cozy! I love going home because my parents make the best friend rice, and today I am going to share how to make their ham and potato fried rice!
Versatility of fried rice:
One of the bests parts of my parents fried rice is the potatoes! I know potatoes are not a traditional fried rice ingredient, however, it adds so much flavor and a nice texture!
Usually we just use whatever protein we have in the fridge. This time we had some leftover ham, so we cut that up and threw it into the fried rice. Sometime we use sausage or meatballs, as well as the traditional chicken, beef, or pork! Thats why I love homemade fried rice, because it’s different every time!
Here are a couple other fried rice recipes on my blog:
Key ingredients for ham and potato fried rice:
- I used day old white jasmine rice! It is pretty important to use dry or day old rice so the fried rice is not sticky.
- I choose to put in potatoes, peas, and some red bell pepper! There are so many different options, here are a few: edamame, cabbage, carrots, onions…
- This time around I added ham and eggs, but feel free to add whatever is in your fridge. Tofu is a great option for vegans!
- Olive oil
- I love making fried rice with olive oil because it is a much healthier option compared to canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Garlic, ginger, and green onion
- These are the three essential to a delicious Asian dish! They add so much fresh flavor!
- Soy sauce
- Most fried rice recipes call for much more soy sauce that I added. I like to keep the color light so I tend to add less. If you want to add more, go for it!
Ham and Potato Fried Rice
- 4 cups cooked and cooled jasmine rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup diced ham
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 2 stalks diced green onion
- ½ sliced red bell pepper
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 gold potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Start by prepping all the veggies and protein, making sure everything is diced or grated.
- Before cookings the diced potatoes, make sure to rinse them in water to get all the starch off.
- Start by cooking the potatoes by adding the olive oil into the pan. Once the oil is hot add the diced potatoes. Sprinkle on the salt,.Cook of medium heat until all sides are golden brown, This took me about 8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Now scramble the eggs. Remove and set aside.
- Now add in more olive oil and toss in the green onion, garlic, and ginger. Fry until fragrant (1 minute). Now add the peas, bell pepper, ham, soy sauce, salt, and white pepper. Sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the rice, potatoes, and eggs. Stir fry until everything is well combined.