This gluten free banana bread is delicious, easy to make, and extra moist! I’m not the one to throw around that M word, but this banana bread is exactly that! I did not add any refined sugar, since bananas are naturally sweet! If you see any overripe banana on your counter top, then grab them and make this ASAP.
I love that this recipes uses more than one type of flour because it makes the perfect texture. In my experience just using gluten free all purpose flour can lead the banana bread to dry, and just using almond flour can make the banana bread super dense. Using both helps balance each other out! I also added some oats because who doesn’t love oats.
Key ingredients for this gluten free banana bread:
- Almond flour
- I love almond flour and it makes a great crust for these apple pies! The crust gets super chewy but crisp on the outside!
- Gluten free flour
- I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour! I also love the one from King Arthur.
- Gluten free oats
- I always buy a big bag of gluten-free oats and go through it so quickly. I love the one from Bob’s Red Mill.
- I definitely recommend using a banana that has brown spots on the skin, because they are sweeter and easier to mash! Since this recipe as no added the sugar you want to maximize the sweetness you get from the banana!
- Coconut oil
- This helps the muffins stay moist as they bake, and acts a binding ingredient when making the batter. You can also sub with vegan butter.
- Egg or flax egg
- I choose to use a regular egg since I’m not vegan! If you are vegan or don’t want to use an egg sub with 1 tbsp of flax meal mixed with 2.5 tbsp of water.
- Maple syrup
- I love using maple syrup as a sweetener because it helps bind the cookies together. Agave nectar and honey will work well too.
- Coconut sugar
- This is by far my favorite granulated sweetener! It has a rich nutty flavor as well as a deep caramel color! I used this both in the donuts and the frosting.
- Just add it!
- Almond milk
- I like to use almond milk instead of water because it adds a creamier texture to the banana bread. Any plant milk will work here.
- I think walnuts are the best nut combo with banana bread! The second best are pecans!
- Chocolate chips
- I love using Enjoy life mini chocolate chips!!
Gluten Free Banana Bread
- 3 extra ripe bananas
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1¼ cups gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the over to 350F
- In a stand mixer bowl or large mixing bowl, mash up the bananas. Then mix the rest of the wet ingredients (almond milk, egg, vanilla extract, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and coconut oil). Beat until a smooth batter forms.
- Next add in the dry ingredients (almond flour, oats, gluten free flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon). Mix until everything is well combined.
- Now fold in the walnut and chocolate chips. Save some of the walnuts to top the banana bread.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and sprinkle on the remaining walnuts.
- Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool then enjoy!