This chicken and dumpling soup come together super quickly, and it is great when you have some left over chicken! I love making this soup on weeknights because I throw all the ingredients into a pot and let it cook!
This recipe is super cozy, and works perfect at cheering you up on a gloomy day (or any day)! My favorite part about this soup are the chewy dumplings! The best part is that those are made with two ingredients: flour and water!
Something that helped me make this recipe even faster was my fancy dancy vegetable chopper I found off Amazon. I love using this gadget when I have a lot of things to dice into small pieces! It saves so much time!
Here are some other soup recipes on my blog:
Key ingredients for this chicken and dumpling soup:
- Mirepoix is a mixture of carrots, celery, and onions. It is super popular as a soup base and brings amazing flavor as well as increases your veggie intake!
- I added potato because who doesn’t love potatoes! This also makes the soup super extra creamy!
- I definitely recommend using frozen peas because they are much easier to get a hold of and make the soup creamier!
- For this recipe I had some leftover chicken sitting in the fridge. It made this recipe extra easy, and it was a great way to use up leftover chicken.
- Milk helps the soup with the creamy texture. If you are dairy free you can always sub with oat milk or almond milk.
- The combination of flour and water is all you need to make the dumplings! It’s that easy and they are delicious.
- To season the soup I used salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, thyme, and fennel seeds!
Easy Chicken and Dumpling Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large gold potato diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 large chicken breast diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup water more as needed
- Start by preparing all the veggies and dicing them into small pieces.
- Heat up a large pot and add in the olive oil. Sauté the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and potatoes until they are soft. This can take about 10 minutes. Make sure to season with the salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, parsley, and fennel seeds.
- In the mean time make the dumplings by mixing the water and flour. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, water, and milk. Let the soup come to a boil. Once the soup is boiling pick off pieces from the dumpling dough and add it to the soup. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add in your left over chicken and frozen peas.
- Let the peas heat up then it is ready to serve!