Today is a good day because we are making some sushi, and not your regular sushi rolls, low carb cucumber sushi! This recipe replaces the rice and nori with some thin slices of cucumber. I also replace the filling with some canned chicken because personally I like canned chicken better, but you can also sub with tuna or just use veggies!
I wanted my rolls to be have life to it so I add some colorful bell peppers and carrots. There are a ton of different veggies that can be added to the rolls to customize to your taste!
Tips for rolling the sushi:
I definitely recommend overlapping two sheets of plastic wrap on your work surface to make sure there is enough to cover the whole roll.
Overlap the thin slices of cucumber by placing one edge of a cucumber on top of the previous slice. This will help the roll stay together once you cut it.
Do not use the seedy part of the cucumber. This will make your roll really watery and it won’t stay together well.
Let the roll sit wrapped in the plastic wrap in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. This will help the roll hold its shape when you unwrap the plastic.
Key ingredients for these cucumber sushi rolls:
- Canned chicken
- I decided to use canned chicken because I prefer that over tuna, however, you can totally use canned tuna or leave it out all together.
- I recommend using normal cucumbers and not English cucumbers. Normal cucumbers are typically wider and shorter. I’ve tried this recipe with English cucumbers and the cucumber strands were to long and it was difficult to roll.
- Garlic aioli mayo
- This is my secret ingredient when making any chicken salad. It has so much flavor already that I don’t need to add anything else. I love the one from Primal Kitchen.
- This is the fun part! I used a yellow bell pepper and carrots, however, there are so many different options. I love adding avocado as well!
- 1-2 Cucumbers
- 6 oz canned chicken
- 1 tbsp Primal Kitchen garlic aioli mayo
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Sliced bell peppers
- Sliced carrots
- First start by washing all the produce thoroughly.
- In a mixing bowl add the canned chicken, garlic aioli mayo, and black pepper. Mix together and set aside.
- Take a vegetable peeler and slice the cumber into thing slices from end to end. I would recommend using the parts of the cucumber without the seeds.
- Prep the other vegetables and cut then into small thin slices.
- Take a long sheet of plastic wrap and place in on the countertop or table. Then lay the strips of cucumber on the plastic wrap making sure the cucumber slices are over lapping.
- Layer the chicken mixture and vegetables near one end of the cucumber strips. Take the plastic wrap and fold the cucumber over the filling and continue to roll until all the cucumber has been rolled up.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the cucumber into small portions. Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!