Here’s another Asian recipe coming your way! This time its crispy rice paper dumplings! I think dumplings are one of my favorites foods, and I will never get sick of them because they taste different every time! There are so many different filling combinations, but this time I choose to keep it simple with chicken and cabbage.
This dumpling recipe is a little different than traditional dumpling and wonton recipes because it uses rice paper as the wrapper. The traditional wrappers contain flour and water which is not gluten free! Not to mention the rice paper dumplings get super crispy when you pan fry it in some avocado oil! Just make sure to keep an eye on them because they tend to burn easily.
I have a variety of dumpling and wonton recipes on my blog for you all to try out! I love every single one of them so I recommend trying them all!
Key ingredients for these crispy rice paper dumplings
- Chicken breast
- I choose to use chicken as my protein, but you can also use ground turkey or tofu!
- Green onion, garlic, ginger
- The trifecta of Chinese cooking! These three ingredients add a flavor burst in any sauce or Chinese dish!
- I like using cabbage because it takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with, and it does not water the filling down!
- Soy sauce or tamari
- Adds a nice salty umami flavor! Use tamari to keep it gluten free!
- White pepper
- I LOVE WHITE PEPPER. It is by far my favorite seasoning to flavor any of my Asian dishes.
- Rice paper
- I used circular rice paper wrappers! To prep these, dip one in some boiling water for a couple seconds then lay it on a clean surface. It will get sticky and soft after it sits out for a couple seconds!
Crispy Rice Paper Dumplings
- 1 chicken breast diced into small pieces
- 3 stalks green onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 16 rice paper
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- Prepare the chicken, green onion, garlic, ginger, and cabbage.
- Add 1½ tbsp of oil to a skillet, followed by the green onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the diced chicken and season with half the salt, white pepper, and soy sauce. Sauté until fully cooked. Remove from pan.
- Add 1½ tbsp of oil to the pan, then cook the with the remaining salt, white pepper, and soy sauce.
- Add the chicken mixture back in and mix to combine.
- Get a bowl of boiling water ready and dip the rice paper in. Lay the rice paper on a clean surface and fill with the chicken mixture. Fold the rice paper over the mixture. Then wrap that again with another piece of rice paper.
- Add 1 tbsp of avocado oil to the skillet and fry both sides of the dumpling until crispy.
- Serve immediately!