Mochi is by far one of my favorite Asian desserts, and this corn butter mochi might be my new favorite mochi flavor! I know a corn flavored dessert may sound a bit odd at first, but the flavor is super subtle and it adds a nice sweetness to the mochi! This recipe is actually super easy to make, and you only need a handful of ingredients you probably already have!
A really famous Asian dessert is mochi ice cream (which I love), but this recipe if basically just the chewy part of the mochi ice cream. The texture of this butter mochi is bouncy, chewy, and almost cake like!
Here are some other Asian desserts to try:
All you have to do is put all your ingredients into a blender, blend it until it’s smooth, pour it into the baking dish, and then bake it! This recipe is super quick and easy.
Key ingredients for corn butter mochi:
- Obviously we need corn for corn mochi! I used canned corn for this recipe, but you can definitely use frozen or fresh corn off the cob!
- Glutinous rice flour
- This flour is the key ingredient for making mochi. You cannot substitute this with anything else, or else the texture will be completely off.
- Full fat coconut milk
- I decided to use full fat coconut milk for the creamy texture, but you can also sub with heavy cream if you have that!
- Butter is super important for the flavor of the mochi. It also keeps it extra juicy while it is in the oven. You can sub with began butter or coconut oil to keep things dairy free.
- Eggs are essential to the texture of the mochi and sadly there isn’t a great sub for this one.
Corn Butter Mochi
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups corn frozen, fresh, or canned
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 8×8 baking pan.
- In a large blender add in you choice of corn and coconut milk. Blend until there are no lumps left from the corn.
- Now add in the remaning ingredients and blend until everything is smooth.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let the mochi completely cool, then slice it up and serve!