Chocolate and peanut butter are just a match made in heaven! This is one of my favorite dessert combos, and there are so many different treat you can make! These chocolate peanut butter bars have a crunchy base, but a chewy chocolatey ganache.
Instead of using flour, I decided to keep these bars completely vegan and gluten free. They make such a great healthy snack or dessert, and I know kids will love this as an after school snack!
To make a chocolate ganache you usually use chocolate chips and heavy cream, but to go with the peanut butter chocolate theme I replaces the heavy cream with some peanut butter! I think this sub worked great and the texture came out super smooth and chewy.
Key ingredients for these chocolate peanut butter bars:
- Almond flour
- Almond flour can take on two textures when it is baked, either soft and chewy or crispy! In this recipe it take on a crisper texture because it is not mixed with any coconut oil. The base is also a thinner sheet which allows it to crisp up when it bakes. If you want a chewier texture I would recommend adding 1 tbsp of coconut oil!
- Peanut butter
- I love peanut butter and I think it works great as a binding ingredient in baking! You can also sub for any nut/ seed butter you like!
- I added a touch of cinnamon to incorporate some additional flavors! If you are not a fan then leave it out!
- Maple syrup
- This is my favorite sweetener because it work so well at keeping baked goods together and moist as it bakes.
- Vanilla extract
- This is something in baking that you should never leave out! I think it combines all the flavors together and it complements the chocolate really well.
- Vegan chocolate chips
- I used Enjoy Life’s vegan chocolate chips! They are so delicious and creamy I can’t believe it’s totally vegan!
- Coconut oil
- This helps keep the chocolate ganache smooth and shiny looking!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Peanut Butter Crust
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Next, add the almond flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Fold in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter into a lined 8×8 baking pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, make the chocolate topping by melting the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in the microwave. Once the chocolate is melted stir in the peanut butter.
- Top the crust with the chocolate mixtures and sprinkle on some flaky salt. Place in the freezer to set, then cut it up into bars and enjoy!