Todays recipe is a super easy breakfast, dessert, or snack recipe that is loaded with protein! This chocolate hazelnut protein cake is low-calorie, flourless, and low in added sugar! The only added sugar comes from a little bit of the maple syrup, and the sugar in whatever chocolate hazelnut butter you use! I used Justin‘s chocolate hazelnut and almond butter, but you can use Nutella or a homemade version!
This recipe is low-calorie because it doesn’t contain any flour, oil, or sugar which are some ingredients that tend to make cakes high in calories! Instead of flour are you some gluten-free oat flour, and I subbed the oil with just almond milk! Don’t worry the cake still stays moist without the oil!
Other yummy oat recipes!
Key ingredients for this chocolate hazelnut protein cake:
- Gluten-free oat flour
- I tend to buy a big bag of gluten-free oats, then make my own oat flour using a spice grinder or a high speed blender. Just make sure that the flour is super fine
- Chocolate hazelnut butter
- I use Justin‘s chocolate hazelnut butter, but you can use Nutella (it does have a higher content of sugar). You can also make your own by blending some hazelnuts, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder together!
- Cocoa powder
- I just added a dash of this to increase the chocolatey flavor!
- Chocolate protein powder
- This ingredient is totally optional. If you do omit this add another tablespoon of cocoa powder and some additional sweetener since the protein powder is the main sweetener for this recipe.
- Almond milk
- Almond milk works great in baking when it’s paired with oats or oat flour. The oats soak up all of the liquid and create a nice moist texture.
- Maple syrup
- Maple syrup is my favorite liquid sweetener and I added a little bit of this just to increase the sweetness a little bit. You can totally omit this if you don’t want any added sugar
- Baking powder
- This helps the cake fluff up in the oven!
Chocolate Hazelnut Protein Cake
- 1¼ cup gluten free oat flour
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (2 servings)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3-4 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
- 8 chopped hazelnuts
- In a large mixing bowl combing the oat flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, protein powder, and salt.
- Now mix in the almond milk and maple syrup. Combine until a smooth batter forms. Fold in the chopped hazelnuts.
- Transfer 3/4 of the batter to a over safe baking dish. Then add 1-2 tbs of the chocolate hazelnut spread in the center of the dish. Cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 25 -28 minutes.
- Allow to cool then remove from the baking dish. Top with some more chocolate hazelnut spread and hazelnuts.