Today we are making gluten free and vegan chocolate glazed donuts! Now do these donuts taste like donuts you find in a donut shop? Not exactly. Usually those donuts contain yeast and are fried to be light and fluffy. So those are definitely not the healthiest treat you can buy, but I’m guessing you already knew that.
These donuts are light and chewy, but have a more cake-like texture. If we want to get down to the nitti gritti, these donuts actually have a slight mochi type texture due to the gluten free flour blend. Gluten free flour is mainly made up of rice flour, which is the key component in mochi. I love this texture because it is so chewy!
To finish up my donuts, I decides to tops of my donuts with some vegan dark chocolate melted with a little bit of coconut oil. I also added some fun sprinkles on top because who doesn’t love sprinkles! I like to use sprinkles that are natural with no artificial dyes. There is a great brand I found called, Supernatural, that has a ton of fun options!
Key ingredients for these vegan and gluten free chocolate glazed donuts:
- Gluten free flour blend
- I love using Bob’s Red Mill’s 1 to 1 gluten free flour. It produces a a lovely light and chewy texture.
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut sugar is by far my favorite type of granulated sweetener! Some people get mistaken that it is healthier, however it has the same sugar content as regular sugar. The difference is that it has a lower glycemic index which means it does not spike your blood sugar as much.
- Almond milk
- You can use any plant milk you like here! I would not recommend a sweetened one, however a vanilla flavored one would work as well.
- Flax egg
- This is the vegan substitute for an egg, and it is just 1 tbsp flax meal with 2.5 tbsp water. If you are not sensitive to eggs then you can use that as well.
- Coconut oil
- I love getting a huge tub of this stuff from Costco! I go through it relatively quickly since this is the main oil I use in my baking recipes.
- Vanilla extract
- This is a must for these donuts, since nothing else is really flavoring them! I love the subtle vanilla flavor these donuts have!
- Vegan Chocolate Chips
- I love to use Lily’s brand chocolate chips. They are so delicious and sweetened with stevia. They also melt really well.
- I like to use natural sprinkles with no artificial dyes. There is a great brand on amazon called Supernatural that makes so many fun kinds!
Chocolate Glazed Donuts (Vegan and Gluten free)
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup almond milk can add 1 tbsp if needed
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flax meal + 2.5 tbsp water
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your gluten free flour blend, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix until evenly combined.
- Then, add your almond milk, coconut oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract. Fold the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients until everything is well combined.
- Spray your donut pan with some cooking spray. I used avocado oil. Then scoop your batter into the baking pan.
- Bake the donuts for 8 minutes
- While the donuts are baking, melt some dark chocolate chips with some coconut oil and get your sprinkles ready.
- Allow for the donuts to cool completely before dipping them into the chocolate coating.
- Finally sprinkle on your sprinkles and enjoy!