Chili oil noodles are one of my go to dinner recipes when I don’t feel like putting effort into my meals! I whipped this recipe out in under 20 minutes, and its bursting with flavor! To me this is higher class version of the typical ramen noodles.
The best part about this recipe is the sizzle when the hot oil hits all the spices! It releases an aroma of delicious flavor that fills up the whole kitchen! I decided to serve my noodles with some tofu, but you can chose to serve with chicken, beef, or nothing at all!
I have a recipe on my blog that walks you through how to make the most delicious homemade chili oil! This stays well in the fridge for month, so if you have this on hand making chili oil noodles will be even easier.
Key ingredients for chili oil noodles:
- Chili flakes
- I ground up some regular red chili flakes, but if you want to make it even more authentic use Sichuan chili flakes!
- Green onion and garlic
- Definitely use fresh produce for both of these ingredients. They release so much flavor when the hot oil hits them and fry for a couple minutes.
- Chinese 5 spice
- This is optional since it can be hard to find, but highly recommend getting some! It really intensifies any Chinese dish!
- Coconut sugar
- A little bit of sweetness helps balance the spicy and salty. You can also sub with sugar, maple syrup, or honey.
- Avocado oil
- This is my favorite oil to use for chili oil because of its high smoke point and neutral flavor.
- Soy sauce or tamari
- This is necessary to bring some salty, umami flavor into the dish! Tamari is just gluten free soy sauce!
- Cooking tofu is probably one of the easiest things because it takes on any flavor you marinate it with! It also doesn’t take a long time to cook since nothing is raw.
- Brown rice noodles
- You can use whatever noodles you like! I decided to use some brown rice noodles I picked up from my local grocery store! Here is a good one I found on Amazon!
Chili Oil Noodles
- 4 oz brown rice noodles or ramen noodles
- 1 tbsp ground up chili flakes
- 2 stalks green onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice
- ¼ tsp sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp avocado oil at 350F
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 8 oz tofu cubed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sace or tamari
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook your noodles according to package instructions.
- In a separate pot, heat up the avocado oil to 350F.
- To a skillet add the avocado oil and garlic. Sauté until fragrant. Add in the cubed tofu and season with salt, white pepper, and soy sauce. Cook until golden brown on each side. Set aside.
- Mix together the ingredients under sauce except for the avocado oil. Once the avocado oil has reached the temperature pour it over the the spice mixture and let it for for 1 minute.
- Drain the noodles, then mix in with the sauce. Top with the tofu and enjoy!