These chicken egg rolls have a crispy yet chewy exterior and a flavorful chicken and cabbage filling. Egg rolls may seem daunting to make, but they are surprisingly super simple and they make the perfect party appetizer!
This recipes is my moms’ secret recipe, and I was given permission to share with the world. I would beg my mom to make this when I was little, and this was always my preferred choice of food for any of my birthday parties.
The secret to getting a crispy exterior but still have some chew is to shallow fry the eggs rolls on each side instead of deep frying them. Both sides get extra crispy but there are still parts of the wrapper that have that chew.
Here are some other easy Asian recipes to try:
- Tomato and Egg Noodle Soup
- Easy Chicken Momos
- Chicken Spring Rolls with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Steamed Beef Dumplings
- Avocado Egg Rolls
Key ingredients for these chicken egg rolls:
- I choose to dice up some chicken breast in to small pieces, but you can also use chicken thighs! If you want to keep it vegan you can sub with extra firm tofu.
- I love using cabbage because it takes on any flavor you flavor it with. It also adds a nice crunch to the filling.
- The carrots just add a nice color (and extra nutrients I guess)!
- Soy sauce
- Soy sauce is essential for any Asian dish. I like to use low sodium soy sauce so I can control the saltiness of my dish!
- Shaoxing wine
- Shaoxing wine is super important when marinating chicken. It helps neutralize the chicken flavor and and another level of flavor. If you don’t have any of this you can sub with chicken stock.
- Green onion, garlic, ginger
- Are we surprised here? These three ingredients are essential in Chinese cooking. They are essential for sauces, stir fry’s, dumplings, and more!
- Corn starch
- Corn starch helps the chicken stay super tender and helps it get glossy while cooking. You don’t need a ton of this, but you will notice a difference if it is missing.
Chicken Egg Rolls
- 3 scallions stalks
- 25 egg roll wrappers
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 large chicken breasts sliced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ½ tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ head medium sized cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- Start by slicing up the chicken breast into small dices. Season with the soy sauce, shaoxing wine, salt, white pepper, and corn starch. Let it marinate while preparing the vegetables.
- If not using pre shredded cabbage and carrots, then shred each into thin shreds. Also mince up the garlic, ginger, and green onion.
- Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a wok and sauté the carrots with ¼ tsp salt for 2-3 min. Remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and add in the minced garlic, and half of the minced green onion. sauté until fragrant. Now add in the cabbage and stir fry until full cooked (6-8 minuets). Remove from the pan.
- Now add in 2 tbsp of olive oil followed by the remaining minced scallions and minced ginger. Sauté until fragrant. Add in the marinated chicken and cook until the chicken is golden brown (5-7 minutes).
- Now add in the cabbage and carrots and stir fry everything together.
- Let the filling cool for 30 minutes.
- Build the egg rolls by placing about 2-3 tbsp of the filling near the corner of the egg roll wrapper. Fold the corner where the filling is placed over the filling and roll the wrapper over the filling a couple times. Now fold in the two side corners of the wrapper. Take some water and brush over the remainder of the wrapper and fold the egg roll over it to seal. Repeat until all the filling is gone.
- Pour in the avocado oil to a flat frying pan. Make sure it is hot (place a wooden chopstick in the oil and if it bubbles around the chopstick then the oil is ready). Place the egg rolls in the hot oil and cook on the first side until it is golden brown. This takes about 4-5 minutes. Flip each egg roll and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy!