Noodle recipes are my favorite because they can be so easy and filling! This chicken dan dan noodles recipes took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and it made the perfect week night dinner! Not to mention, it makes a great leftover meal for lunch the next day!
Growing up my go to recipe I begged my mom to make was a homemade noodle dish! There is something so comforting about a warm bowl full of noodles. My parents definitely make the best sauces, but I think mine are making their way up to the same level of flavor!
Here are some other delicious noodle recipes on my site!
There are a ton of dan dan noodles recipes out there and some can be very complicated with the amount of ingredients. I tried to keep the sauce pretty simple, however there are some non traditional ingredients that you cannot skip on!
Key ingredients for these chicken dan dan noodles:
- NOODLES!! The best part of the recipe! I used chickpea spaghetti and it worked out amazing! you can use your favorite noodles. Here are some I love: brown rice noodles, Japanese dried ramen, soba noodles.
- I used ground chicken, however, traditional dan dan noodles uses ground pork. You can use any kind of ground protein or tofu!
- Soy sauce
- This adds a deep color and salty, umami flavor!
- White pepper
- I LOVE WHITE PEPPER. It is by far my favorite seasoning to flavor any of my Asian dishes.
- Chinese 5 spice
- Chinese 5 spice has a licorice type flavor because of the star anise and cloves! This may sound weird but it compliments meats or tofu very well!
- Sesame oil
- Sesame oil is probably my favorite flavor addition to the chicken. A little bit of this goes a long way since the flavor is so strong. Make sure you don’t over do it on this one.
- Sesame paste or Tahini
- Sesame paste has a deep nutty flavor and makes the sauce extra creamy. Tahini is basically the same thing as sesame paste, but the sesame paste at Asian markets has a much more flavor than tahini.
- Sambal oelek
- Adds the spicy factor for the noodles.
- Sichuan peppercorn
- This pepper adds a numbing effect to the sauce! If you don’t like this feeling then use black pepper!
Chicken Dan Dan Noodles
- 4 oz Chickpea spaghetti noodles
- 4-6 oz ground chicken
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek
- ¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice
- ¼ tsp Sichuan pepper
- 2 tbsp water
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook the chickpea noodles until al dente.
- Heat a medium size skillet. Pour in the avocado oil and add in the garlic and scallions. Sautee until fragrant.
- Make the sauce my whisking together everything under the sauce ingredient group.
- Now add in the chicken and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Place the cook noodles in a large bowl and top with the sauce and ground chicken mixture. Mix and enjoy!