You guys will not believe how easy it is to make homemade caramelized bananas! This recipe has no added refined sugar, and it only requires three ingredients. I whipped this recipe up in under 15 minutes, so it makes the perfect after school snack!
You can use these bananas however you lie. I decide to make a peanut butter banana quesadilla, but these caramelized bananas would work great on ice cream, French toast, or even some plain Greek yogurt!
Should I use over ripe bananas?
Typically for banana bread or banana muffins you want to use very ripe bananas since it will help sweeten the batter, and it is easier to mash. However, for caramelized bananas I recommend using bananas that have just ripened. If you use over ripe bananas they will become too mushy and break apart. Just ripe bananas will stay intact and have a nice chewy texture!
Key ingredients for these caramelized bananas:
- This is obvious!
- Maple syrup
- I love using maple syrup as my sweetener of choice! It works super well for this recipe since the bananas soak in all that maple flavor, and get crisp on the outside.
- Coconut oil
- This helps get the bananas crispy on the edges. I typically use refined coconut oil since it has less coconut flavor. You can also use avocado oil, but not any oil that has a strong flavor like olive oil.
- I highly recommend a little touch of cinnamon, however it is totally optional.
Caramelized Banana Quesadilla
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp cinnamon optional
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tortilla
- First start by slicing up your bananas into small circles.
- Heat up a frying pan and add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
- Once the coconut oil has melted add in the bananas and cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side or until crispy.
- While the bananas are cooking, lather the peanut butter onto the tortilla.
- Add the bananas on top of the peanut butter and fold the tortilla in half.
- Place the quesadilla back into the frying pane and cook until each side of the quesadilla is crispy.