Today we are making vegan buffalo tofu wings! I used extra firm tofu to replace the chicken, and I can barely tell! Tofu is my favorite vegan source of protein because it doesn’t have a strong flavor, and it is so easy to work with! For the breading I used two layers. The first is tapioca flour, and the second is the breadcrumb layer. I like doing two layers for this recipe because it makes the wings extra crispy while keeping the tofu juicy. These wings are also baked instead of fried. to keep it on the healthier and easier side. I definitely recommend making this for your next game day!
I made my own homemade buffalo sauce using hot sauce from Siete and some vegan butter! It is actually so easy to make buffalo sauce, but if you are feeling extra lazy there are actually a lot on the market that are vegan. One of my favorite ones is made by Primal Kitchen! Their sauce is super creamy, and I definitely cannot tell that is it vegan! I served my buffalo wings with some vegan ranch and celery sticks!
Key ingredients for these vegan buffalo tofu wings
- I definitely recommend extra firm tofu, just because it holds its shape better while assembling the wings.
- Tapioca flour
- This is super important for getting the wings crispy!
- Bread crumbs
- I like to add a layer of whole wheat bread crumbs for some additional flavor and crunchiness.
- Vegan butter
- This is definitely a must to get the flavor of the buffalo sauce. I like using one from Miyoko’s because it tastes just like butter.
- Hot sauce
- I used on from Siete, however your favorite hot sauce will work great!
Boneless Buffalo Tofu Wings
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt split between tapioca flour and bread crumbs
- 1 tsp pepper split between tapioca flour and bread crumbs
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper split between tapioca flour and bread crumbs
- ½ cup almond milk
- Avocado oil spray
Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- ¼ cup hot sauce I used Siete's
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Start by placing the tofu in between two kitchen towels and press the water out, by placing a heavy object on top of the tofu for about 10 minutes. Then cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tapioca flour and bread crumb mixture. Add half the salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to the tapioca flour and half to the bread crumb mixture.
- Dip the tofu cubes in the almond milk then coat with the tapioca flour. dip it back into the almond milk and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Set aside.
- Place the breaded tofu onto a wired baking sheet (for optimal crispiness) and bake for 20 minutes. Then broil on high for 3- 5 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking make the buffalo sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan. Then add the hot sauce, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Once the tofu is done baking, allow it to cool for 15 minutes, then toss with the buffalo sauce!
- Serve with some vegan ranch and celery!