If you love cinnamon rolls and black sesame then this recipe was made for you! I think black sesame is one of my favorite Chinese dessert flavors! My recipe is nutty, buttery, and not too sweet!
I got my black sesame at my local asian grocery store, but you can also get it from Amazon! To make the paste I used an electric coffee bean grinder to turn the black sesame into a black sesame powder. You can also buy pre-made black sesame paste if you don’t have a grinder or are just too lazy (no judgment).
I also made 2 other versions while making this recipe: red bean and match coconut. Let me know if you want the recipe for those and I can definitely share!
Here are some other Chinese desserts on my blog:
Key ingredients for these black sesame sweet rolls:
- Black sesame seeds
- got my black sesame at my local asian grocery store, but you can also get it from Amazon! This is probably my favorite Chinese dessert flavor! If you don;t have black sesame regular sesame seeds will work too.
- This is essential to make a delicious black sesame paste. I also used some in the dough.
- This is definitely necessary for the paste. You can sub with some granulated sweetener in a 1:1ratio.
- I used all purpose flour to make my dough. I have not tried using gluten free AP flour, but I think it would work.
- Yeast helps the dough rise and makes it extra fluffy. I used instant yeast because it was easier to just sprinkle it in with the dry ingredients.
- This makes the dough extra creamy! I used whole milk but skim or almond milk work well as well!
- I like adding eggs to my dough because I think it makes it fluffier and squishier.
Black Sesame Sweet Rolls
- ¾ cup warm milk whole, 2%, skim, or plant milk (110F)
- 2¼ tsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter or vegan butter
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup black sesame
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp black sesame powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Start by warming up the milk in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Then pour that into a stand mixer bowl. Sprinkle on the yeast and let that sit for a couple minutes. Then add in the sugar and mix. Slowly pour in the butter and add in the eggs. Beat until everything is well combined.
- Switch to the dough hook and add in the flour and salt. Turn the stand mixer on and let the dough knead for 8 minutes. Once that is done, cover and let the dough rise for 1-2 hours.
- In the mean time make the black sesame paste. Start by grinding up the black sesame in an electric coffee bean grinder. Mix in all but 2 tbsp of the black sesame powder with the butter and sugar. Set aside.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, roll out into a rectangle. Now smother the black sesame paste all over the rectangle. Then roll it up along the long side of the rectangle. Cut into 9 equal portions.
- Grease a 9X9 pan with butter then place each roll inside. Let the rolls rise for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350F, then bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking make the icing by mixing the powdered sugar, 2 tbsp of the sesame powder, and milk.
- Once the rolls are done baking, let them cool slightly then drizzle on the black sesame icing.
- Serve warm and enjoy!