Avocado egg rolls are the perfect way to enjoys a vegan appetizer that is both crispy and delicious! Many restaurants have this as an appetizer but this version is much cheaper and tastes so much better!
I think one of the most popular appetizer recipes at the Cheesecake Factory are their avocado egg rolls! Every time I go, I always get some because they are that good. Since I don’t go to the Cheesecake Factory that often I decided that it was time to make some of these at home.
Don’t worry, because these homemade versions are super easy to make and honestly taste much better! In addition, making a homemade versions is so much cheaper and you can customize it however you want!
I got all my produce from Imperfect foods! They are a sustainable food brand that delivers healthy groceries right to your doorstep! I love how I can shop for my groceries right from my couch and get it with no effort at all!
Let make these egg rolls a little lighter
Instead of deep frying the eggs rolls I liken to shallow fry them instead. This mean I let each side of the egg roll sizzle instead of submerging it in a pot of oil.
I think dumplings/ wontons are my favorite thing to make and eat.I have so many different recipes on my blog! Here are a few:
- Teriyaki Chicken Dumplings
- Chili Oil Chicken Wontons
- Traditional Bao Zi
- Vegetarian Potstickers
- Veggie Filled Pork Dumplings
- Vegetarian Spring Rolls
- Rice Paper Chicken Dumplings
Key ingredients for these avocado egg rolls:
- This is obviously important for this recipe! I used 2 large avocados to make around 15 egg rolls.
- Onions add a nice zing to the filling. I used a red onion and diced it super fine so there weren’t any large onion chunks.
- I added just a little bit of tomatoes because why not!
- I love the freshness cilantro brings to the filling. If you aren’t a cilantro fan you can leave it out.
- Lime juice
- This helps the avocado mixture keep its green color and also adds a nice acidic flavor!
- Jalapeño or poblano pepper
- I added some diced up jalapeño because I like some spice. If you want to keep it on the milder side, you can use a poblano pepper instead.
- Egg roll wrappers
- You can find these in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. I know for a fact that they re sold at all Asian grocery stores!
- 2-3 avocados 2 if they are large and 3 is they are small
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ¼ red onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup jalapeño or poblano pepper diced
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 8-10 egg roll wrappers
- Start by dicing the onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, avocado, and cilantro. Dice the avocados in small chunks.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the avocado, tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, onion, salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Take one egg roll wrapper and place the avocado filling near a corner of the wrapper. Bring the bottom corner over the filling and wrap it tightly. Fold in the the sides and roll to the top of the wrapper. At the end, take some water and brush the tip of the wrapper and press to seal. Repeat with the rest of the filling.
- Heat up the avocado oil is a large skillet. Place the egg roll in and cook on one side for 2 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Server immediately.